The results are in! Find out who is going to International in Orlando and to the Fall Contest in Fresno!
International Preliminaries, Southeast & Southwest Division Quartet Contest
IRVINE, Calif. (Mar 17, 2018) — The results of the tonight's International Quartet Preliminary Finals, and Friday evening's Southeast and Southwest Division Quartet Contest & International Preliminary Quartet Semifinals have been announced. The Friday evening Semifinal results had to be withheld until the end of the Finals, since earlier release would have revealed scores for some quartets who were competing only for divisional titles and district qualification.
Two quartets have scored 2736 points or greater, and have qualified to represent the Far Western District at the International Convention this coming July in Orlando.
- The Newfangled Four - 3076 (85.4%)
- Suit Up! - 2940 (81.7%)
Four quartets from the Southeast Division have scored 1224 points or greater, and have qualified for the Far Western District Fall Convention in Fresno, Calif this October.
1. VOX - 1349 (74.9%)
2. Fourtunate Sons - 1334 (74.1%)
3. Four Fifteen - 1226 (68.1%)
3. Tipping the Scale - 1226 (68.1%)
- VOX is the Southeast Division Quartet Champion.
- Good Times! is the Southeast Division Seniors Quartet Champion.
- District qualification for seniors quartet contestants will be determined after all division results are completed.
- Good Times! is the Southeast Division Novice Quartet Champion.
One quartet from the Southwest Division has scored 1224 points or greater, and have qualified for the Far Western District Fall Convention in Fresno, Calif this October.x
- Velvet Frogs - 1268 (70.4%)
Quartets Intonation and Desert Crossing, who were competing out-of division, have also qualified for the Fall Contest.
# # #
Walnut Creek has been named the Chapter of the Year for 2017
Bruce Sellnow is the new inductee into the Far Western District Hall of Fame.
Bryan Forbes and David Melville received the Far Western District President's Award for 2017.
More details to follow.
# # #
Harmony Brings Boys Together
IRVINE, Calif. (Mar 17, 2018) — Cross City Harmonizers a barbershop quartet from three different high schools in the Las Vegas area, have won the 2018 Far Western District High School Quartet Contest.
Cross City Harmonizers are: C.J. Miller, tenor, Camron Gregory, lead, Drake Pyatt, baritone, Antwun Puckett, bass. Camron and Drake are from Basic Academy, C.J. is from Desert Oasis, and Antwun is from Centennial High School. The are ALL members of the Las Vegas Chapter and sing with the Silver Statesmen Chorus, with a combined total of 13 years barbershop experience.
They would like to thanks their families and loved ones as well as their high school choir directors for their ongoing support and coaching: Ryan Duff from Basic Academy; Michael Polutnik from Desert Oasis; and Becky Larkin from Centennial High School. They would also like to thank Their chorus director, Jim Halvorson, and their coaches, Steve Salmon and Kurtis Harrold.
This is the 28th annual High School Quartet Contest sponsored by the Far Western District. Created by the late Lloyd Steinkamp in 1991, the event is in the capable hands of Bruce Sellnow, who has been the coordinator since 1998.
# # #
Southeast & Southwest Division Chorus Contest
IRVINE, Calif. (Mar 17, 2018) — The Southeast and Southwest Division Chorus Contest has completed. Eight choruses from the Southeast Division, and three choruses from the Southwest Division have scored 1116 points or greater, and have qualified for the District Fall Chorus Contest in Fresno. Here are the results:
- Pacific Coast Harmony - La Jolla, CA - 1401 (77.8%)
- Gaslight Chorus - Brea, CA - 1313 (72.9%)
- Silver Statesmen - Las Vegas, NV - 1256 (69.8%)
- Sun Harbor - San Diego, CA - 1187 (65.9%)
- Temecula Wine Valley Harmonizers - Temecula, CA - 1151 (63.9%)
- South County Sound - South Orange County, CA - 1145 - (63.6%)
- Inland Sound - Inland Empire, CA - 1132 (62.9%)
- Orange Empire Chorus - Fullerton, CA - 1122 (62.3%)
- The Music Men - Palomar Pacific, CA - 1081 (60.1%)
- Pacific Coast Harmony is the Southeast Division Chorus Champion.
- Temecula Wine Valley Harmonizers is the Southeast Division Plateau A Champion.
- Silver Statesmen is the Southeast Division Plateau AA Champion.
- Pacific Coast Harmony is the Southeast Division Plateau AAA Champion.
- Silver Statesmen is the Southeast Division Most Improved Chorus.
- Pacific Sound - Rincon Beach, CA - 1279 (71.1%)
- The Oceanaires - Santa Monica, CA - 1229 (68.3%)
- Coastliners - South Bay, CA - 1192 (66.2%)
- Pacific Sound is the Southwest Division Chorus Champion.
- Pacific Sound is the Southwest Division Plateau AA Champion.
- Coastliners is the Southwest Division Most Improved Chorus.
# # #
Spring Convention Quartet Semifinals
IRVINE, Calif. (Mar 16, 2018) — The Southeast and Southwest Division Quartet Contest & International Preliminary Quartet Semifinals have just completed at the Crystal Ballroom at the Hilton Hotel in Irvine. Because one of the quartets advancing to the finals was from out of district, there will be ELEVEN (11) quartets competing in the Quartet Finals tomorrow evening. Here are the TOP ELEVEN:
MT - fourtified
- Fourtunate Sons
- Tipping the Scale
- Art City Junction (RMD)
- Suit Up!
- Bari and the Three Bears
- Good Times!
- The Newfangled Four
- Old Town Rascals
As there are actually several "contests" taking place within this quartet contest, it is necessary that the scores for those quartets not advancing be withheld until the entire contest is over. Both the Friday and Saturday scores will be available after the Quartet Finals tomorrow evening.
# # #