The Next Generation Barbershop Junior Quartet Contest and Junior Chorus Invitational give high school singers the perfect mixture of fun, education, and opportunity for recognition and achievement with the opportunity to sing for enthusiastic audiences of vocal music fans at the annual Midwinter convention. Your contribution helps these young people realize experiences that will last a lifetime. In many cases these are life changing experiences as these young men and women discover the strong sense of community, love and support that is so prevalent in our organization.
Many of these young people have continued their love of barbershop, some with chapters in the FWD, and some with chapters across the country. It is a very worthwhile investment on your part!
The Far Western District has led the way with a strong presence at these youth events, and this year is no exception. There are THREE quartets and THREE choruses from our district that have been invited to compete in the contests held January 2019 in Nashville.
The two women quartets are also part of the Chandler High Treblemakers so there are 3 choruses and 1 quartet that need financial help to get to Nashville.
Here’s what Harmony Foundation International provides
- If they are not participating with a Junior Chorus, HFI will be giving each quartet 1 free hotel room and each member will receive a complimentary full registration to the Midwinter Convention.
- The quartet will need to bring along at least one chaperone, who will have to cover their own hotel and registration, and they will need to fund their travel and food expenses.
- Quartet members are responsible for their travel and food.
- Each chorus pays a flat $300 registration fee, plus $100 per singer.
- Convention registration and show tickets ($189 per person value!) — provided!
- Hotel accommodations for three nights (4 to a room), thanks to the generous donors of Harmony Foundation International — provided!
- Chorus members are only responsible for travel and food.
Here's what members can do to help
While each group will be having their own performances and fund-raising activities locally, the Far Western District is asking all members and chapters to consider helping send these enthusiastic young people to Nashville for an experience that will last a lifetime.
No donation is too small!
Chapters are encouraged to pass the hat each week and individual members who wish to go the extra mile can make their own contribution. All donations received will be distributed equally to the four groups.
If you prefer to donate by check, please make payable to Far Western District and send to:
Far Western District • 2209 Terrace Way • Bakersfield CA 93304-3555
Please be sure to indicate the check is in support of FWD Youth at the 2019 Midwinter Convention.