Apr. 13, 2019 (MESA, Ariz.) — Fourteen quartets and eight choruses competed at the Arizona Division Convention, with contests held at the Mesa High School Performing Arts Center. Six quartets and four choruses from the Arizona Division scored enough points to automatically qualify for the Far Western District Fall Contests which will be held in October.
Vocalocity is the 2019 Arizona Division Quartet Champion, with the Seniors and Novice championships going to Hometown Heroes and Out of the Ashes, respectively. A Cappella Syndicate is once again the Arizona Division Chorus Champion, and the East Valley Barbershop Harmonizers are the division’s Most Improved Chorus.
Earlier in the convention, a quartet named Tucson Tradition won the Arizona Division Harmony Platoon contest held Friday at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Tempe, Ariz. All four are current or former members of the Tucson, AZ Chapter, and three of them are members of the Central Arizona Quartet Chapter.
A new era in Arizona Division History unfolded during the contests: Ocean’s 4, a mixed harmony quartet from the Southeast Division competed in the quartet contest and received a standing ovation for both songs; Harmony on the Rocks, a mixed harmony chorus from the Sedona, AZ Chapter competed for the first time as did the Wicked Pitch of the West, a women’s chorus from the Phoenix area.
In addition to the trophies and plaques presented to the winning competitors at the Show of Champions, special recognition awards were presented to Arizona Division members by Far Western District President Craig Hughes, including Adam Kaufman as the 2019 Arizona Division Convention Honoree, Gordon "Mongo" Bergthold as the recipient of the 2018 Far Western District President's Award, and the Mesa, AZ Chapter receiving the 2018 Far Western District Chapter of the Year Award. Far Western District's DRCJ Brett Littlefield recognized Singing Judge Dave Tautkus for his many years of service; Dave is retiring from the C&J program, and the Arizona Division Convention marked his last appearance on the panel.
Arizona Division Quartet Contest Results
- FWD Arizona Division Quartet Championship: Vocalocity
- FWD Prelim Quartet Qualifier (Arizona Division): Heatwave, Hometown Heroes, Intonation, Melodyne, Montage, Vocalocity
- FWD Arizona Division Seniors Quartet Championship: Hometown Heroes
- FWD Arizona Division Novice Quartet Championship: Out of the Ashes
Ocean's 4, competing out-of-division, also qualified for the FWD Fall contest in the Mixed Harmony division.
Official Scoring Summaries (OSS)
Arizona Division Chorus Contest Results
- FWD Arizona Division Chorus Championship: A Cappella Syndicate
- FWD Prelim Chorus Qualifier (Arizona Division): Tucson Barbershop Experience, The Phoenicians, East Valley Barbershop Harmonizers, A Cappella Syndicate
- FWD Arizona Divison Plateau A Champion: Desert Aires
- FWD Arizona Divison Plateau AA Champion: Tucson Barbershop Experience
- FWD Arizona Divison Plateau AAA Champion: A Cappella Syndicate
- FWD Arizona Divison Most Improved Chorus: East Valley Barbershop Harmonizers
Harmony on the Rocks, Wicked Pitch of the West competed for evaluation score only.