The Society aspires to preserve for its members and for all future generations of prospective members, the sacred right of men to seek haven from the burden of their daily cares through indulgence in old-fashioned vocal quartet harmony, and to that end we do hereby solemnly pledge ourselves to abide by the precepts of the Code of Ethics.
Please refer to the Society’s General Statements of Policy for further clarification of some of the following canons.
- We shall do everything in our power to perpetuate the Society.
- We shall deport ourselves and conduct the Society’s functions in such manner as to reflect credit upon the Society and its membership.
- We shall conform in all respects to the bylaws of the Society, the Youth Policy, and the other rules from time to time promulgated by its Society Board of Directors.
- We shall accept for membership only congenial men of good character who love harmony in music or have a desire to harmonize.
- We shall exhibit a spirit of good fellowship toward all members.
- We shall refrain from forcing our songs upon unsympathetic ears.
- We shall not use our membership in the Society primarily for personal gain.
- We shall not permit the introduction of political, religious or other similar controversial issues into the affairs of the Society.
- We shall, by our stimulus to good music and vocal harmony, endeavor to spread the spirit of harmony throughout the world.
- We shall render all possible altruistic service through the medium of barbershop harmony.
Complaint Policy, Procedure & Violation Form
All members of the Society must subscribe to the Code of Ethics of the Society. Whenever it is alleged that a member has violated a Canon of the Code of Ethics, the procedures above should be followed to determine if a violation has occurred and what, if any, action should be taken because of the violation.
All allegations of a violation of the Code of Ethics must be initiated by the filing of an Ethics Complaint with the Society Ethics Committee. Utilize the above form to file a complaint as well as the procedures also located on this page to understand the process and steps necessary in reporting a potential violation.
Where do I send an ethics violation form?
Completed Ethics Violation forms and supporting documentation should be sent to:
Barbershop Harmony Society
C/O Ethics Committee Chair (please forward)
110 7th Avenue N
Nashville, TN 37203