Announcing the 29th Annual Far Western District
High School Barbershop Quartet Contest
Saturday, March 23, 2019 in Stockton, CA
- The contest is open to male high school quartets in California, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, and Southern Utah.
- Each quartet member must be currently attending a high school.
- Each quartet is to sing two barbershop songs in good taste in the contest.
- All competing high school quartet members receive complimentary convention registrations*.
- There is no fee to participate, but the students are responsible for their travel, lodging, and meal expenses. In some cases, quartets can obtain sponsorships from local chapters to help offset these costs.
- Judging will be provided by current and former Far Western District Quartet Champions.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- You should arrive on Friday if at all possible, or early Saturday morning at the latest.
- Plan on staying through the Saturday evening events if you can. The winning quartet will perform on the Saturday Evening Show of Champions, which will include the top competitors from the men's contest.
- A High School afterglow is included late Saturday night where top quartets will sing and invite students to sing with them.
WHAT TO DO:
- Ask your local barbershop chapter to help you with music and coaching.
- Download and fill out the HSQC REGISTRATION FORM (see link below). It can be filled out on your computer using Mac Preview or Adobe Reader version 8.0 or later.
- Email the registration form to Richard Lund (email and snail mail addresses are on the form).
- Register for the CONVENTION at FWD Spring Convention on the District Events website. All four quartet members plus one chaperone are eligible for complimentrary registrations*. Be sure to use the "HS Quartet" pricing option to receive the complimentary registrations.*
- Make travel and hotel arrangements.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Get there and sing your heart out.
For Contest & Hotel Location Information: See FWD Spring Convention on the District Events website.
Information and Registration Forms
* High school quartet members who are ALSO competing with a chorus or quartet in the regular BHS contest must purchase their convention registration at the COMPETITOR rate.